Not having a sense of direction in life, feeling like you have no purpose, like you’re going nowhere is something everyone experiences at some point or another. It can cause some people to feel like life has no meaning, worthlessness, low self esteem, feelings of anxiety and depression.
It’s important for a person to feel like they have a purpose in life, something to live for, like they can make a difference in the world. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” Ralph Waldo Emerson. How can you make a difference in the world? What difference would you like to see? How can you get a sense of life direction?
Here are five things you need to do if you are feeling directionless, like life is going nowhere.
- Stop watching the news. Whether you believe the globe is boiling, that we’re all going to die in a global pandemic or that the WEF is going to create a totalitarian world state. Whatever side of the political fence you sit on the news is going to stir all kinds of negative emotions in you, it’s going to make it very hard for you to get a sense of direction if you think the world is ending so ignore the news. Don’t let your energy be focused on things you can’t control, you have no control over anything you see on the news. Stay positive, gratitude journaling can really help with this as can a regular relaxation practice and meditation.
- Identify your core values. If you feel like something is missing in your life, like you are stuck in a rut and going nowhere it’s likely you are not living life in alignment with your core values. True fulfilment and inner peace can only be found by looking within. By knowing what your values are and living your life in accordance with them. It will also help to know what your strengths and weaknesses are.
- Set goals. Know what you want to achieve in life and use the S.M.A.R.T goal formula to help you reach your goals. You can find my goal setting workshop here https://youtu.be/6Lbf3TJJN_s?si=r1U7nmEyx1EJKHQY You may be thinking you don’t know what your goals are and that’s why you are here. Ask yourself, “what would I do if anything is possible?” Almost anything can be achieved if you know what you want, why you want it and are focused on a plan to achieve it.
- Once you have set your goals using the S.M.A.R.T goal formula you need to take action to ensure you can achieve them. Like lack of direction, procrastination is a common problem, if you procrastinate you might find this video here useful https://youtu.be/J9J1LSmorWQ?si=jNcNQSmkaQQlfdl5
- Trust your own judgement, you will find people who criticise, tell you your goals are unachievable. Don’t listen to them, maintain your focus, trust your own judgement, surround yourself with people who are positive and supportive. This doesn’t mean you should be unrealistic but believe in yourself and your own abilities. Again, having a S.M.A.R.T goal will allow you to track your progress and ensure your goals are attainable.
Following the above tips will really help you find your sense of purpose and live a meaningful life. If you still cannot get a sense of direction after working through all of the above, consider what adversity you have faced in life, what challenges have you overcome? I grew up with a very dysfunctional family which caused me to suffer low self esteem, anxiety and all kinds of relationship issues. Becoming a hypnotherapist and helping others overcome issues such as anxiety, complex trauma, to increase their confidence and self esteem is what gives me a sense of purpose and direction in my life.